If your dog has ingested THC, it is important to be aware of the potential effects. THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the main psychoactive chemical found in marijuana and can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms of THC ingestion can include lack of coordination, walking while intoxicated, tiredness, urinary incontinence, seizures, neurological symptoms, vomiting, tremors, agitation, hyperactivity, disorientation, barking, dilated pupils, excessive vomiting or drooling, depression, and in rare cases coma or death. If you suspect your dog has ingested THC, it is important to be honest with your veterinarian and seek medical attention immediately. If toxicity is discovered soon after ingestion, your veterinarian may induce vomiting to prevent further absorption of the toxin.
In cases where ingestion is discovered quickly, the veterinarian can induce vomiting to prevent symptoms. Treatment is quite variable depending on the severity of the symptoms presented and some dogs may be treated as outpatients at home while others will need hospitalization to receive intravenous fluids and supportive care. It is also important to inform your veterinarian of any other possible ingestion of drugs (illicit or prescription).It is important for pet parents to be aware of the signs of THC toxicity in dogs and how to control them. If your dog can't handle a treat or doesn't stick his tongue back in to swallow, he needs to go to the vet.
Cooper's fever rose to 106.5 degrees F and such a high temperature could cause brain damage in a dog. From the plant to the oils to the edibles, there are plenty of opportunities for dogs to get down to business. Very rarely, eating too much marijuana can lead to a coma or be fatal to a dog. If cannabis is ingested with toxic or problematic substances such as xylitol, chocolate, raisins or foods that contain a lot of fat, additional supportive care or treatments may be required.